Effective October 1, 2012
This policy also covers NECIR’s treatment of any personally identifiable information that NECIR’s business partners share with NECIR or that NECIR may collect on a partner's site.
This policy does not apply to the practices of companies that NECIR does not own or control or to people that NECIR does not employ or manage.
Unless specified otherwise on the website, users must be at least 14 years of age and a legal resident of the United States before participation in any activity that requires the submission of Personal Information.
Please be aware that when it comes to your privacy, NECIR acts in accordance with the Government Fair Information Practice Principles. We protect all personal data collected on our website. The following outlines what information is collected and how it will be used. Yes, your privacy is very important to us.
NECIR will be the sole owner of all information collected on this site. NECIR collects personally identifiable information from persons who are at least 14 years of age when:
• You register for an account with this website;
• You respond to a contact submission form found on our website or Email us;
• You visit pages within the NECIR website;
• You transact business with our affiliates or business partners;
• We access publicly available information from public suppliers of such information, including, but not limited to, government agencies and consumer reporting agencies, to assist in the enforcement and monitoring of your transactions.
• We send one or more cookies to your computer that uniquely identify your browser. Most browsers are initially set up to accept cookies, but you can reset your browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent.
• Storing user preferences;
• Allowing you to change pages during your visit without having to re-enter a user name and password;
Some features and services of the NECIR website or other sites may not function properly if your cookies are disabled;
To request changes to or deletion of your own NECIR account, and to read about what information may possibly remain in our archived records after your account has been deleted email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
NECIR may collect the following types of information. Please note that the decision to provide information to us is completely voluntary on your part:
• Information which personally identifies you and which may include, but is not limited to, your name, email address, physical address, zip code, phone and fax numbers;
• Information about the domain and the host from which you access our services, including the computer's Internet address and the browser and other software in use;
• Demographic information which may include, but is not limited to, your age, gender, preferences, interests and favorites;
NECIR fully complies with all requirements of the Child Online Privacy Protection Act.
NECIR uses information for several purposes, including:
• Verifying your identity;
• Detecting and preventing fraud and other illegal uses of our network;
• Fulfilling your requests for certain products and services;
• Engaging in research that will improve this network and website, as well as those of our partners; and
• Improving site administration and functioning and our overall services to you.
NECIR will use best efforts to honor users who request to opt out of marketing messages, but under no circumstances will NECIR have any liability for sending any E-mail to its registered users.
Users who do not wish to receive Emails, including NECIR bulletins, NECIR promotional E-mails, or Sponsor E-mails are requested to contact Co-Director Joseph Bergantino at email@example.com, or select the opt-out options that are available on all E-mail correspondence. We may also send to our users network and service announcement updates. Members are not able to unsubscribe from service announcements, which contain important information about service notices and responsibilities. NECIR occasionally communicates with its users via E-mail and phone to provide information about requested services and regarding issues related to their account and the network. It is important to note that this communication is not used for marketing or promotional purposes. Requesting the deletion of certain types of user information may prevent users from accessing some website and network features.
Information Sharing and Disclosure
NECIR is required to share certain personally identifiable information with the United States Department of Treasury to comply with applicable federal laws and regulations.
NECIR may also send personally identifiable information about you to other companies or people in certain circumstances allowed by law, including when we:
• Process your application to participate in one of our training programs, which involves submission of information through Constant Contact and processing of payment through PayPal
• Need to provide you with a service or process a financial product or service at your request, which sometimes requires that we share your information with the business partners or affiliates that may include, but are not limited to: Financial service providers, banks, Credit card companies and brokerage houses.
• Implement institutional risk controls;
• Are considering or engaging in a proposed or actual transfer of the New England Center for Investigative Reporting to another entity, at which point we will share the information only with other parties to the transaction;
• Are required to respond to subpoenas, court orders or legal process or other formal requests issued by a government office or agency; and
• Have a good faith belief that such action is necessary to: Protect and defend the rights or property of NECIR, protect against fraud or prevent actual or potential fraud, implement required institutional risk controls, protect the confidentiality of our records or the security of our records, transactions or systems, act under exigent circumstances to protect the personal safety of users of NECIR, or the public or enforce violations of the NECIR User Agreement or any of our usage guidelines for specific products or services
NECIR may share aggregated, non-personal data and information with media partners, professionals and advertisers.
Personally identifying financial information about former consumers will not be disclosed to nonaffiliated third parties other than Constant Contact, who processes all applications for our programs.
NECIR endeavors to maintain the requisite security to protect your personal information from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure both on and offline at a level that is equal to or better than that which is required by applicable law. NECIR secures the personally identifiable information you provide on computer servers in a controlled, secure environment, protected from unauthorized access, use or disclosure from anyone other than our employees, agents, representatives, business partners and affiliates. NECIR insures the proper handling of your information to prevent unauthorized access or identity theft. We do this by taking every reasonable means to insure your information cannot be accessed by anyone except you.
We also keep information submitted to us in applications for our training programs in paper format.
All employees of NECIR have reviewed this privacy statement and must adhere to these privacy standards. They understand the importance of high levels of security and discretion in all functions that deal with your information.
Please understand that, despite our best efforts, third parties may unlawfully intercept or access transmissions on the Internet which may compromise your personal information.
Correcting your Personal Information
NECIR asks that you provide us with any changes to your personal information or your privacy preferences so that we can update your account accordingly. NECIR is not responsible for any notifications or updates that do not reach you because you have not notified NECIR of changes to your contact information.
Changes should be sent to [insert contact person's Email here]. We will take reasonable steps to verify your identity before making corrections.
NECIR will occasionally update this Statement of Privacy to reflect company and customer feedback. NECIR encourages you to periodically review this Statement to be informed of how NECIR is protecting your information.